Persona developed to represent one of the types of Bird scooter drivers
The Last Mile Challenge
Most Americans are not comfortable walking more than a quarter mile to get to work and other places. Parking garages and public transit local stations stop far from where you are going. In many cities, there is the need for an affordable, efficient and accessible second mode of transportation.
Bird Founders had the vision to give people a fun and convenient way of solving the last mile challenge, while reducing car traffic on city streets.
User & Market Research
The first step was to find out more about what people were already using to get around urban areas and campuses, and understand where those modes of transportation fell short.
• Interviews with users of rentable bikes, segways, buses
• Comparative and competitive studies on competing categories
• User impression testing of concepts and features
• Usability testing of early beta software
I worked directly with the founder to sketch out ideas. We would trade sketches and scans to work out problems and features. Some early product principles:
• Fast onboarding utilizing camera to scan license and credit card
• Education on how to ride and how to end/park.
• Clear communication on how to start/stop a ride
• Responsive customer service for when problems arise
• Make it easy to find available scooters on map
• Clear indicator of battery life
• Show route and cost of trip at end